Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where were you?

Six years ago today, The United States endured one of the worst attacks on our soil ever recorded. I remember standing in our living room watching in horror as the events unfolded on TV. My daughter was only a month old and I remember thinking "What kind of world have I brought her into?"
I remember all of the flags flying after that in a statement of solidarity. I drove around today and maybe saw a handful of flags out.
We must never forget the innocent victims of that day and those who fought to try to save them.Please show your support today by flying your flag at the very least.
Observe a moment of silence and say a small prayer for their families as today is a difficult day for them.
God Bless America.

2 comments:

Don, the Window Cleaner said...

I am probably a member of the last generation that remembers where he was when JFK was assassinated: I was in kindergarten. I remember the corrugated room room dividers parting and the TV being rolled into the room, and all the teachers crowded together.

This time around, I was cleaning windows in someone's house. I was in the living room a little after 9am when the lady suddenly burst into the room saying that the World Trade Center had been hit by a jet, and she turned on CNN. We didn't know what it all meant yet, but I was addicted to all the websites that covered it for weeks.

I know there is a great deal of controversy about how we respond to this, and how we see ourselves as a nation. But our ambivalence hasn't changed the fact that there are crazy, evil bastards in the world who would just as soon strap on dynamite and walk into a restaurant as they would look at you.

Chad said...

There is a great deal of truth in what you say Don. These days, even with all of the intelligence at our disposal, there is no way to know where the next attack will come from. I mean, we haven't been able to catch Bin Laden and my feeling is we're just trudging along in Iraq to save face.
BTW- Don, just for comparison, I wasn't around for JFK but I do remember Reagan being shot...
Thanks for the post!